CBR1100XX.org Forum

Putting her back together

gcp

Hi guys, long time no hear!

I just received my new spark plugs (and a new battery) so I'm getting ready to do the install hopping to get my bike to run as it should. I seem to remember from a while back that there was a post around here that explained, with a picture/schematic the exact location of the vent tubes plus the on/off location of the petcock. As much as I've searched I've been unable to locate the post. Please point me to it if you have it!!

Also, thanks for the sea foam recommendations, I'll give the stuff a try.

I just received my new spark plugs (and a new battery) so I'm getting ready to do the install hopping to get my bike to run as it should. I seem to remember from a while back that there was a post around here that explained, with a picture/schematic the exact location of the vent tubes plus the on/off location of the petcock. As much as I've searched I've been unable to locate the post. Please point me to it if you have it!!

No drawings, but here it goes. The vacuum line from the head ( just below the #2 carb ) goes to the port on the front of the petcock. Nothing goes to the port sticking straight down from the petcock. On is the pointed part of the knob pointing down to on. On mine the over flow and vent tubes just hang down.

post-2671-1174072458.jpg

the fuel petcock is in the on position in this pic.

the fuel won't run out of the tank without a vacum source, also if you lift the rear of the tank you can see the petcock

post-2671-1174072458.jpg

the fuel petcock is in the on position in this pic.

the fuel won't run out of the tank without a vacum source, also if you lift the rear of the tank you can see the petcock

Bingo for Jason ! Getting ready to do the install, thank you very much kiwimack and airborne for your inputs!

The plugs are in and so is the new battery. I had a hard time starting her but the sweet sound of success was immanent. Now I’ll top her off with fresh fuel, and a bit of sea foam and she’ll be ready for some hard core riding this spring! It was about time too, I’ve not ridden my BB hardly at all the past 2 years (one of 4 bikes in the stable, plus a convertible, with very limited free time).

Thanks for your help in getting her going guys.

The bike was again hard to start this morning, refuses to start with the choke on. But I did manage to start it and ride it to the gas station for 3 galls of fresh gas and 4oz of sea foam. Seems to be doing better now so it could have been old gas but if not, what else can make it so hard to start?

Thanks,

The bike was again hard to start this morning, refuses to start with the choke on. But I did manage to start it and ride it to the gas station for 3 galls of fresh gas and 4oz of sea foam. Seems to be doing better now so it could have been old gas but if not, what else can make it so hard to start?

Thanks,

How old is the battery? I've noticed with mine if the battery isn't fully charged it takes longer than usual to fire, even though it seems to be turning over at a normal speed. Could also be the carbs need a good cleaning. Run a couple of tanks of fresh gas and Sea Foam and see if it gets better.

On another note I was checking out your GTS. Very intersting bike... I like it!

The battery's brand spanking new but you're right, it could be the carbs cause the bike sat around for the past two years.

The GTS is surely my pride and joy, such an unusual and timeless bike, puts a smile in my face every time I ride it. And since it's EFI no starting problems either, no matter how long it seats. If I had to keep just one motorcycle it would be it! But since every bike scratches a different itch :icon_evilgrin:

Well, 50 miles later and you guys have made a believer out of when it comes to sea foam! The bike stuttered and spattered for about 30 miles and then all of a sudden the acceleration was crisp, the idle smooth, and the throttle response about as good as I ever remember it to be. Of course lets wait for tomorrow but tonight I just had to share my happiness with you :icon_surprised: . Thank you for turning me onto this stuff!!